Supply Teaching Forum  

Go Back   Supply Teaching Forum > MENTAL STARTER > Getting started as a supply teacher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Nursery Noodle

Default Year 6 behaviour strategies

Hi all

Have been working as supply teacher for a
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
of terms now, and am sometimes asked back to school to do Year 5/6 (although I am KS1 experienced really) I have struggled with the behaviour(which has been dire a few times) , although work has been left.
I want to keep going with it if I can as would like to get more experience with older children but my behaviour strategies are too KS1!

Any
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
s?? (For children not listening/ignoring me/chatting etc etc)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Infant Demon

I had this problem, I'm early years/KS1 and the first time I went into a KS2 class I realised that I couldn't say 'Show me your hands' for attention! I took the drastic step of taking a temporary post as HLTA covering KS2 to gain more experience. I have worked a lot in these years now and find that they will play you up if they can. I try to remain consistent in what I expect their behaviour to be. What behaviour strategies does the class teacher use? Do they get team points for good behaviour? Are they kept in at break for various lengths of time for poor behaviour? Can you negotiate with the children so that if they are silent for so many minutes they are rewarded with a game of thumbs up thumbs down or something similar.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Secondary Grunter

Hello
If you search on here for posts re managing behaviour you'll find heaps of excellent advice and great strategies.

Whilst some strategies suit KS1 better than KS2, KS2 are not as old and jaded as they would like you to think and sometimes they really enjoy strategies that are effective with younger children.

My current class are quite competitive, so any form of competition, eg first table ready, tidiest table, quietest table always works well - they don't always expect a reward, praise works just as well but I do give out points (sometimes to earn a prize or reward) like they're going out of fashion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Nursery Noodle

I agree with ruby, at this age the students are really competitive. From what I've seen, house points and table points seem to work well as a strategy. Giving points to the team or table that behaves well and then giving some reward at the end of the week.