X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to supply and struggling

I graduated a year ago and managed to get a maternity cover in a lovely Year 5 class. Other than being somewhat noisy, I didn't really have any behaviour issues. Since then, I have continued to apply for jobs but am doing supply in the meantime.

However, living and working in a city, I have so far worked in a variety of schools; mostly in socially deprieved areas. I also seem to be getting mostly Year 5/6 work and am finding managing the behaviour increasingly difficult. Although I do all my tried and tested strategies and make sure to stick to the school behaviour policies, I often find myself sat in front of 30 children talking to myself with seemingly no control. I do find myself ticking off the small successes but was wondering if anyone had any tips? I appreciate as a stranger in the children's lives, it's difficult to form any sort of relationship however I would like to know how to go in 'hard' as they say and tackle some of the more difficult classes!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have to be yourself. Going in hard doesn't work if that's not in your nature. You have to be engaging and positive and strong (strong, not hard!) Reflection time. Kids are kids. There are kids who are harder than others to get to. Some you won't reach in the time you have. Focus on the object of the lesson / activity. Be confident in your own abilities. What made the lovely Year 5 class 'yield' to you? What did they like about you? Why did they respond positively to you? Bring these qualities to the fore.

Failing that, there's a book called Getting The Buggars to Behave on sale! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Bugg...0786833&sr=1-1

Comment

Working...
    X