Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch them being good [resource pack]

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to supply teaching (3 days under my belt). I've put together a behaviour management pack to help me tackle my next job.

Does any one feel like exchanging resources?

EDIT: find the resources here link

Thanks Mandy
    Last edited by Amanda; 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM.

I've used the packs in 2 different schools this week. I always slightly change what I do, but quick feed back on successes that save all the shouting and nagging:
    • paper tokens for rewards just prior to walking to assemblies
    • friendship tokens for nominations just after play times
    • showing them the 'feedback form' explaining the letter you will write to the class teacher (with an emphaiss on all the lovely things you can say)
    • showing them the behavior tick sheet for good and pesky behavior (I make a big show of ticking off their names on the positive to sheet)
    • using the timer power points to bring them to the carpet quietly.
    I'll update as I go along, cheers Mandy

Comment

Thanks Mandy! I had a look on the TES site, some useful s well done for posting!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Chris.

And now for the link

Comment

Forgive me to hogging my own thread, I need 15 posts to use PM and I'd like to access Danfur's plans.

Here is a list of websites that I found useful when putting the below pack together.

Game s & printables

Free emails and ebooks

Stickers, tokens and timer powerpoints

Free behavior charts

Good listening posters

Behavior management

Comment

Catch them being good resource pack

Hi Mandy........Just trawling through supply bag in the hope of finding some inspiration for behaviour mangement. I also started in October last year, there has been many up's and downs , mainly positive, but as you probably know a bad day can knock confidence !

I have tried a few approaches, allowing the class to gather teams points so that they can play a game at the end of the morning or the day, this worked with a few classes, but doesn't necessarily promote team work and the rest of the class miss out when a few can't behave. I like the use of table points but the pain is that they tend to sit in different seats for literacy and numeracy.

I was interested to know how your resource has worked and have a of questions.

the 2nd slide the class are being good rewards them, I presume this is being decided by the class, how do you implement that.

Golden time: I am always a bit nervous of taking time out of the day for golden time and in a small classroom this can be very disruptive, what is your approach to this

Thanks if you have time to respond that would be fab, or any other suggestions from others, quite hard work coming from uni to supply, no-one to bounce s off .

Cheers Nicky

Comment

Hi Nicky, just reading through, I wouldn't do Golden Time whilst on supply unless it's timetabled... the schools all have different policies about it, most seem to allow it on Fridays afternoons only... tread carefully!

Comment

Hiya, sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm still having ups and downs, despite now working in the same school for 3 days a week. I haven't 'cracked it' yet, but am happy to share my reflections.

Slide 2 - I rarely use this and only by way of sharing with children "I'll tell your teacher how lovely you all are; you never know she might even give you a treat". I've never actually reported back on individuals as I sense it might cause resentment from the class teacher. Only last week my class teacher received such a note from another supply listing 6 names of the repeated offenders. I actually thought the letter was nice and friendly, but the class teacher was not impressed with her children being 'named and shamed'.

Rewards - the 2 most effective approaches that has worked in all schools / ages:

1. 'Raffle tickets' - hand out raffle tickets to all and sundry for a wide range of good behavior or learning. At the end of the day draw 2 tickets from a bag, the winners get a shiny pencil (cheap pencils from pound stretcher or similar). This is a great motivator and reduces 'favoritism' as it is an open draw.

2. Well done certificates - WHSmith have 'notelets' which the classroom assistant and myself hand out at the end of the day to say 'Thank you' for good children (1 boy / 1 girl).

Motivators - throughout the day I channel their behavior by manipulating the promise of 'rewards'. Rewards do not have to be 'gifts' like the pencils, but any thing that appears to be a 'treat' or recognition of their good behaviour. It's all how you sell it to the kids!

Team points - I ignore the class groups and quickly say 'Team 1, Team 2 etc", put a tally on the board for the first thing that is slightly good to get their attention. Allocated a 'pen person' to add a tally for you so you can keep the flow of the lesson, "well done Tom, pen person can you give team 1 a point, now for the next question ....". At the end of each lesson count the tally total and start again for the next lesson. This means you can reward more children and it avoids the confusion between maths groups and literacy groups.

As an aside, I actually make the children stay in the same seats all day and ignore the normal routine, this is purely because I can't remember their names if they keep changing seats. But I explain this to the kids "Do you mind if you stay in the same seats today, I know you normally have literacy seats, but I want to learn your names and I am a visual learner. I will tell your teacher so you won't get into trouble".

Team points rewards:
                1. go to play early (I fudge this one so it feels like they leave early, but only hit the play ground at the right time to avoid health and safety issues). "Look at the time, team 1 is leaving 5 minutes early, well done every one, in 5 minutes I will let team 3 go because they were also great". By the time they have fussed with their coats it is the normal dismissal time!

You mentioned what happens when some children are/not rewarded - if there is a particular group with 4 disruptive children and 1 , I make a point of saying "I know you are trying really hard, don't worry you won't be punished with the other children, I'll make sure you get some thing nice as its not fair that you miss out as you are trying so hard to ignore them. Would you like 2 house points for being good? Your friend can also have 2 house points if they settle down and show me how to listen quietly". This quickly indicates you are a 'fair' teacher and will earn you brownie point with the class.

2. 5 minutes free time - they can do what they want, the only rule is that is quiet and they can not leave their seats. I hardly ever give this as the children forget, but at the end of the lesson I might let them draw on the white board. As above, by the time they have fussed with what they want to play, it is the end of the lesson and we pack away. But the way I present the 'golden time' makes it feel like they have had their treat.

3. Class free time - this has only happened once and again I tied it into the lesson. It just so happened that I had a balloon in class (for upthrust) so we played with it for 5 minutes. The children associated good behaviour with 'golden time', so I am able to indicated a future promise of more golden time without delivering it "miss we didn't do golden time" "oh no, its the end of the lesson now, remind me after lunch and lets see if we can sneak some in". In another lesson I had some bubbles (air resistance) so another treat is 1 student to blow bubbles over her team for good behaviour.

4. Class / brain break / reading a story - any thing like this can be presented as a reward "if I am able to talk without interruption, we can have a brain break in half an hour to say well done".

5. House points / 'excellent effort' tokens - in the previous post I linked the paper tokens that I hand out all the time. The children love them and it appears as though you are a well prepared and supportive teacher to the school.

Bribes - with very challenging children I have used small note books with florescent covers / small rainbow pencils (any cheap stationary from pound stretcher). With draw the child to have a quiet chat, "I am a visitor is this school and I know it is hard to have a supply teacher. I understand why you don't like having new visitors in the classroom, but I need you to help me in the class other wise the other children won't learn. If you can settle down I will let you present this book to 1 person in class who has been good". Then I explain to the class, "Damien is finding it hard today, if he settles down I am going to use him as my expert. At the end of the lesson he is going to give 1 good child this book, Damien isn't going to get a treat because his behaviour has been disrespectuful, but there are some lovely children here and I would like to say thank for their help today". Peer pressure is at work here, Damien is given a sense of power over his peers, but he is not being rewarded with a treat - his friends are. If Damien doesn't cooperate, his friend won't get the gift which means the children quickly start saying 'Damien listen, miss is waiting for you' instead of the class teacher having to nag. Doesn't always work!

I think that's way too much information, but hopefully it will give you food for thought. If any one has other reflections or suggestions to improve my approach, feel free to respond. As Nutty indicated, we always have to balance what works for us in the classroom with the school's approach!

Let us know how you get on, cheers Mandy
                Last edited by Amanda; 27-02-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mandy for taking the time to feed back, I really appreciate it. I will feedback with any successes on my approaches at the end of the week. Cheers Nicky

Comment

Some really interesting points there, loads of which I'm definitely going to use. I disagree on the naming and shaming though - I had one atrocious class for the last two years who regularly upset supply teachers. When I had misbehavers, I needed to know exactly who it was so I could follow it up! They needed to know it wasn't acceptable to prat around in classes, and that any inappropriate behaviour would be followed up and would have consequences!

Comment

Thank you for this. I'm new to supply too and this is a great help!

Comment

Working...
                      X